Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » Genres » Death, Gore, Grindcore




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Kqz49tQB8

Can't fuckin wait.

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
Having to wait until 2:50 to hear a guitar riff that did'nt suck does'nt give me much confidence. While the symphonic bits are interesting enough and the vocals are'nt bad, the annoying rhythmic chugging/ stop start double bass and breakdowns throughout the entire song ruins it. They need to look back at there first two lp's and remember what made them such a good band in the first place, because their new shit is just pathetic.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
Seriously? I, and basically everyone else that I know find their first couple albums to be boring, badly produced, and far too disjointed. Communion was fucking legendary, and this song, if it dictates for the rest of the album, is a natural progression from their last; and that is fucking awesome.

I for one can't wait.

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:34 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
What can i say, i like songs that actually go somewhere, have real riffs and are'nt just random synth pads with chugga chugga breakdowns to give the illusion of heavyness. It is true that the songs had allot more too them before, more of riff salad approach, but thats because they were somewhat of a death metal band back in the day( not that this would make them better or worse). Now they're just Dimmu Borgir with growls. The production was never a styrong point but at least their old stuff did'nt have sterile pop music production.

Also Communion sounds like the meow mix song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_XcxrejwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuVHCJVYf4

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:40 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Calgary
PsalmOfLydia wrote:
What can i say, i like songs that actually go somewhere, have real riffs and are'nt just random synth pads with chugga chugga breakdowns to give the illusion of heavyness. It is true that the songs had allot more too them before, more of riff salad approach, but thats because they were somewhat of a death metal band back in the day


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7TCaYG1py8

Needs more awesome melodies like in this song.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:44 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
i laughed about the meow mix song a long time ago, first time i heard about it. told everyone who listened to that album, and ruined the song (or, made it way better lol) for them all.

I dont know, I've always found their old stuff not to be nearly as super epic as you say, and their riffs don't really go to some magical place you seem to hear. communion saved them as a band because it simply had better writing, better production, and better flow from start to finish. This new song, while I think is ok, isn't super amazing, but I am still excited as it sounds like a natural progression from their last, which should be excellent.

Just for you, I'll give some of their older stuff another real good listen.

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
Yeah i'm more into the grittier sounding production over the really sterile style of their later work, gave it more of an edge. I feel while their later stuff has an easier to follow flow of riffs and ideas, it's not as nearly interesting structurally, old Septic Flesh was great for re occuring themes that morphed over time and narrative structure with tons of little subtleties. That and a way vaster riff lexicon, were in the later stuff they seem really limited to the way they express their ideas. I also love how melodic(cosonant) their early work was while still being quite abrasive and dark. New SF just seems to focus on being really streamlined, booming and predictable. I also just really dislike the constant low tuned stop-start chugging that makes up like half the guitar riffs, it annoys me and seems lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKJSPJYEE0

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Okotoks
Rukazor wrote:
Seriously? I, and basically everyone else that I know find their first couple albums to be boring, badly produced, and far too disjointed. Communion was fucking legendary, and this song, if it dictates for the rest of the album, is a natural progression from their last; and that is fucking awesome.

I for one can't wait.


I agree...can't stand their older stuff but I love the last two albums, way more atmosphere to the songs.

PsalmOfLydia wrote:
Now they're just Dimmu Borgir with growls.

wut...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
Streamlined songs that focus on allot of symphonic parts making up the song,while the guitars play rudimentary chugging chords underneath for most of the track,or really generic metal riffs, and super clean and overproduced sound quality.It is just really watered down extreme metal with the focus being on trying to sound symphonic, which makes them allot like recent Dimmu Borgir.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:59 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
PsalmOfLydia wrote:
...and super clean and overproduced sound quality.


So you don't like good production then? Because Mystic Places was completely unlistenable based on its horrible recording. If I wanted to listen to something that sounds like it was recorded by me with 1 mic in my basement with a 4 channel mixer, I'll listen to my own shitty jams.

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Calgary
uh oh Andy...................


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
Considering that Mystic Places has a better mixing job(you can actually hear the bass for one thing), while having a fairly gritty(but pretty damn clean by early 90's standards) sound that compliments the music, i would just say that you've been over exposed to sterilized, digital,"lets make everything huge and plastic sounding", pop metal production
.Come back and talk in a few years when you've actually started listening to Metal that is'nt just edgey rock music. Extreme music benefits from harsh production 90% of the time, Death metal and Justin Bieber production do not mix.
Production is such a miniscule part of music anyways, i know in pop music world, having shiny aesthetic and being as accesible as possible equals success. But i like to think that Metal is based around the quality of the music being played,therefore having production that fits what the band is doing, not just sterilizing it for mass consumption, by standards of " good production" which is an entirely arbitrary term at the end of the day anyways.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:44 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
I don't think there is any music that "benifits" from bad production, no matter how "brutal" it is. Thats probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Listening to something that sounds like shit only takes away from the music because you then have to really try to ignore it to be able to listen to the music through the bad production quality. That should never be a factor, you should just be able to listen and enjoy.

Even my father who has been an audio engineer and a musician for 40 years says that mystic sounds horrible in comparison to communion, and while I didn't need him to confirm it, its good to know that he agrees that you are completely wrong on this. Music should always sound as good as it can, sound quality of recordings should enhance the music, not take away from it, and Communion simply sounds better. Hands down.

The writing in Mystical Places though is great, and the songs are good. I am not going to argue this point with you, but its still not my favorite.

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
"Good" and "bad" production don't exsist, there are standards of production based off of arbitrary terms, at the end of the day it's meaningless, just status quo bullshit. Your average person wants their music as fake,shiny and clean sounding as possible, extreme metal is not meant for theese people. Clarity does'nt always weild the best results. Ever considered that people enjoy the sound of harsh production? I know i do, it gives it allot more atmosphere and power. I enjoy the sonic properties of what i hear from Mystic Places, because it works with what the music is communicating to me.
On the flip side i would say that you should'nt need perfect clarity and "good" production to like an album. Give Mystic Places Communions production and it would still be a great album, give Communion Mystic Places's production and it's big and clear sound would be gone, and people probably would'nt listen to it, because behind the aesthetic ( a plastic one at that) there is nothing worthwhile.

What are the quantitive properties of " sounding like shit" exactly? Sounds like a pretty subjective and vague claim to me.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
Here's a few examples from good to bad. Cryptopsy's first album had good writing and is still one of their better albums, but the production on the sound was bad. The guitar was mixed back, the vocals sounded hollow and were missing alot of depth, bass is non-existant for the most part, and even flo's drums have an inconsistant sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjyQ9h1re8

A few albums later, the mixing became a lot more clean, distinct, and doesn't sound like it was recorded through a long tube. The sound is full, every instrument is clear, the drums are not lacking, and the vocals don't sound flat. (i am in no way comparing vocalists or albums here, just using it as an example because whisper SOUNDED good. whisper was alright but kind of meh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-LL0JWOyU

With Kataklysm's early stuff, the production sounded terrible. Again, same qualities: dead overall sound, flat sound on the vocals, instruments not mixed to level, just overall not pleasing to the ear. (the music was sweet though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGygVbmL6E

Now, since JF has been producing, all of their records sound like beautiful dreams. Clear distinction between instruments, full, powerful sound range on all levels, a warmth to the guitars and bass, and a much better over feel that gives the songs so much more power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4fvgvW-_A

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 219
That Kataklysm song sounded horrible. The distortion just sounded like weak over trebly fuzz, with no heavyness to it what so ever. Everything was way out in front and had no dynamic, and the kick drum sounded like a boring little click and had no mass to it like a kick drum should. Old analog sound may not always be as clear and big sounding, but it makes up for that by not sounding synthetic and having more depth to it's sound, also the extra fuzz added on just makes it sound more extreme which is a good thing. Whisper Supremacy had a great production job, but BMF sounds great, that guitar tone is very crushing, and the slight lack of clarity and being muffled gives it that cryptic sound that makes it so satisfying. Were you seem to find power, i find sterilization and weakness, yes it sounds big, but it also sounds very hollow. And if you can't hear the bass on BMF i would suggest getting your ears checked because i can hear it fine, that album is known by many to have an extremely prominent bass in the mix. It overpowers the guitars at times.
I find thoose early albums you posted way more fitting to the music being played and pleasing to the ear, that new Kataklysm song was a pain for me to listen to because it just sounded so clean and empty, Death Metal needs to sound gritty and morbid, not streamlined and sterile.

_________________
www.myspace.com/chinsplittingdeathmetal


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Calgary
PsalmOfLydia wrote:
Death Metal needs to sound gritty and morbid, not streamlined and sterile.

True dat


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 209
Location: Calgary
We are going to have to agree to disagree here, because I can't argue this anymore. In the end it all comes down to opinion. I was going to write out a long post and then said fuck it because its nonsense.

Where were we... new Septic Flesh? I'm still excited. :mrgreen:

_________________
what the hell is a sig?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Septic Flesh destroys faces.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:14 pm 
Offline
Metal Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Okotoks
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/14/ex ... s-of-grey/

another new one, sounds fucking awesome


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Genres » Death, Gore, Grindcore


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron