Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » Genres » Death, Gore, Grindcore

Post subject: Napalm Death
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:24 pm 
In Soviet Russia, GRIND Cores YOU!

Yup, it's a thread about one of (IMO, THE) GREATEST grindcore/deathmetal bands to ever have released an album. I've been off work for the past few weeks, and decided to use the time to listen to the entire Napalm Death discography, from start to finish (just finished Words From the Exit Wound today). So far, it has been a fantastic journey! Some things I learned:

Napalm Death is without a doubt, my favorite band of all time. Sorry Slayer, you have been usurped, simply for the fact that though there is Napalm albums I like less than others, I have yet to find an album I dislike......the same cannot be said for Slayer's last 3-4 albums....

Harmony Corruption is still my favorite album ever released, and favorite Napalm album for sure (FETO being a VERY close second of course)

I quite enjoyed Napalm's death metal phase. I don't think I have ever taken the time to REALLY listen to the death metal albums (Utopia Banished to Words...) but I am sure glad I did! Fear, Emptiness, Despair is one hell of an album!

There was 19 (NINETEEN!!!!) years between Scum and Leaders Not Followers II, Napalm's first grind album, and their first grind album after the death metal years.....AND THEY DIDN'T SKIP A FUCKING BLASTBEAT!!! Napalm played deathmetal for 19 years before coming out with LNFII and The Code is Red.....and both albums are PURE GRIND MASTERPIECES!!! A band able to so perfectly recapture their glory years after NINETEEN-FUCKING-YEARS is simply unheard of. Napalm Death did it.....and continued to do it for 3 more albums! (The Code is Red, Smear Campaign, Time Waits....)

Napalm Death, without a doubt, was the single greatest gig I have ever attended. I think Kreator played too or something, I could not care less. I have seen 100 shows before that one, and 100 shows after....and am SURE nothing will ever top it. EVER.

Lastly......24 years after they released the Hatred Surge demo....Napalm Death released the album Time Waits For No Slave. Unlike other bands who water down their sound until it's a pathetic shadow of their former selves, under the guise of 'progression' (Cryptopsy, I'm looking at you, losers), Time Waits....ended up being the most perfect example of pure fucking grind-sanity ever!!

So, Napalm Death - discuss! Did you prefer the death metal albums, or their grind stuff better? What is your fave ND album? Napalm was the first grind band I ever discovered, what's your story about the day you found Napalm? Any Napalm discussion is welcome!

Post subject: Re: Napalm Death
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:19 am 
Metal Fanatic

Best Thread.

I found 'em because of the book Choosing Death, which is pretty much a Napalm Death history lesson. Picked up the book out of the blue when I was in high school because I had heard a couple friends talking about grindcore and wasnt too sure what it was. Mostly this one guy that was batshit violent and wouldnt shut up about Exhumed. Anyways, back then I was against downloading whole albums so I randomly picked out a bunch of songs which ended with me loving The Infiltrator (out of all their songs...wtf?) and since I didnt know Kreator at the time, thinking Riot of Violence was one of ND's tunes. Went out soon after and grabbed the first 2 on CD and they still get regular play time around here. At the time I didnt think production could get worse than Scum but now that I've heard much more terrible sound, Scum actually sounds pretty well recorded to my ears hahaha.

I'd have to disagree with you though on the "no bad albums" thing. As much as I love Napalm Death, Insiiiiide the Toooorn Apaaaart is pretty bad at some points. But their low points are still better than a lot of other bands highest. They're definitely one of the few bands that have "gone back" to an older sound and ended up actually getting better from where they "progressed" to and not embarrassed themselves by putting out an album that's just rehashed old material.

Scum and FETO have a special place to me as the first really punk grind I ever heard, instead of the more Carcass influenced bands I heard during my grind intro days. And it's really what got my really into loving drumming. I started off as a punk drummer because I love the energy of punk but moved onto playing metal because, well....punk drumming is usually pretty fuckin boring after 2 songs. Grind is the perfect median, it's got the circle pit inducing win of punk and the intensity/musicianship of metal.

Napalm Death was a big part of putting me on the track to what I love to do: sloppy blastbeats with buddies.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:30 pm 
Metal Fanatic

I've seen them live once (Awesome & crazy!) but only own Time Wait for No Slave...
Since I've found a kinda shocking (to me) appreciation for grindcore in the last couple years, and these guys are key in starting it all, I definitely plan to learn more about them.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 am 
Metal Fanatic

I have not payed attention to their recent output during the last few years. I had a mixed tape with scum when I was young in the late 80's and liked it a lot, but I did not know it was Napalm death at the time (there was no label). I became aware of them more in 1991 and really dug their music. There death metal albums were good, but did not do too much for me. I was young and more interested in the more evil sounding bands at the time. The albums I always go back to are scum and harmony corruption. They sound even better to me now.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:18 pm 
Metal Fanatic

I'm not the biggest Napalm fan in the world but I dont dislike them by any means. personally I prefer their grindier shit. the in between stage where they were still a grindcore band who was experimenting with the death metal sound is their best work, in my opinion. like when Bill Steer was playing guitar for them, not to take anything away from Jesse Pintado (RIP) as he did an excellent job in both Napalm and Terrorizer (although, I much prefer Terrorizer to ND).

basically, I like them the most when they were a deathgrind band. as a death metal band I find their songs to be too long for their own good, but they do have some classic traditional death metal tunes, for sure.

"I wish you guys had children so I could kick them in the fucking head or stomp on their testicles so you can feel my pain, because thats the pain I have waking up every day"

"EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND YOURS IS A SHITTY ONE"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 am 
Metal Fanatic

Recently, I've been going through discographies that I've had forever and haven't listened to all of it. Almost done Bathory, and then eventually I'll get Napalm Death. I probably won't have to delete a single album, haha.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 am 
Sewer Chewer

WarriorsDawn wrote:
Recently, I've been going through discographies that I've had forever and haven't listened to all of it. Almost done Bathory, and then eventually I'll get Napalm Death. I probably won't have to delete a single album, haha.

I'm not crazy about a lot of their material between Harmony Corruption and The Code Is Red..., but none of it is outright bad. Great band, and their last three albums, especially Smear Campaign, are fantastic.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 pm 
Metal Fanatic

Win.

That is all.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:13 pm 
Metal Fanatic

Discovered this band back in mid-90's off the MORTAL KOMBAT soundtrack ( LOL FTL), wasn't so crazy about them back then but yeah, this band rules and TIME WAITS FOR NO SLAVE gets played way too often around these parts.

+ 1 on the Choosing Death book, great read, educational and fun!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:33 pm 
Metal Fanatic

Choosing Death would have been more accurate if it were called "the History of Napalm Death"

"I wish you guys had children so I could kick them in the fucking head or stomp on their testicles so you can feel my pain, because thats the pain I have waking up every day"

"EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND YOURS IS A SHITTY ONE"

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:53 pm 

I have to admit....I am a bit sad that a thread on Napalm did not get as much love as I was expecting. Is Napalm just so damn respected that people are like "Bah, what a dumb thread, everyone loves Napalm. Hostile, you fucking idiot, shut up". Or, are we just not getting enough traffic in our little sub-forum to warrant a large amount of replies to any thread? Because I REALLY do not want to consider the possibility that people just don't care about a band that has had such a huge and profound influence on grindcore, death metal AND crust??

Maybe I am being overly dramatic because Napalm Death is my favorite band, and I likely would not be the same metalhead you see here today if not for them.

Regardless, I managed to finish up my Napalm discography session....and can say with pure fucking conviction, Time Waits For No Slave is easily one of THE greatest grindcore albums ever released.....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:07 pm 
Metal Fanatic

I'll be honest and say that I've only listened to a handful of Napalm, but I've heard really good things about Time Waits for No Slave, and I've been meaning to pick it up, maybe I'll change my mind or open up to them a bit more.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm 
Sewer Chewer

Premonition wrote:
I'll be honest and say that I've only listened to a handful of Napalm, but I've heard really good things about Time Waits for No Slave, and I've been meaning to pick it up, maybe I'll change my mind or open up to them a bit more.

It, Smear Campaign and The Code Is Red... are all great and totally worth checking out if you want to hear good, ripping deathgrind. They've got a bunch of bad albums in their middle era, but those 3 are outstanding.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:01 pm 
Metal Fanatic

thanks for the suggestions, I just ordered Time Waits for No Slave a few days ago, so I may just get these off itunes.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:58 pm 
Metal Fanatic

When I saw ND at Maryland Deathfest last year, it was fucking awesome. It wasn't so much a concert, it was more of a huge party with Napalm Death playing. Everyone was just hanging out drinking, smoking pot and generally having an awesome time. Definitely one of the most fun bands I've ever seen.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:36 pm 
Metal Fanatic

MASSACRE IT'S WHAT THEY ALWAYS BEEN INTO DUDE??...CORPSE GRINDER SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!....RIGHT CLAUDIO?? :twisted:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:18 pm 

Did you seriously just ask yourself a nonsensical, random question? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE INTRODUCE ME TO THIS GUY NEXT TIME I'M IN CALGARY!? I want to buy him a beer, several actually.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:30 pm 

WarriorsDawn wrote:
When I saw ND at Maryland Deathfest last year, it was fucking awesome. It wasn't so much a concert, it was more of a huge party with Napalm Death playing. Everyone was just hanging out drinking, smoking pot and generally having an awesome time. Definitely one of the most fun bands I've ever seen.

Up until the point I was proposed to onstage during Rotten Sound's set (yes, that was BLATANT braggery), the Napalm Death show was the single greatest moment of my entire life. Yup, not just the best show I seen, but the greatest minutes of my ENTIRE life. But the BEST PART of that show, is when they played You Suffer, and NO ONE AT ALL realized they actually just played a song aside from me and my buddy GrindcoreDev. NO WAIT. Best moment of all was Barney taking a slam from a water bottle, handing it to me, then giving me a fist bump.

.........I still have that bottle of water, wrapped safely away in some towels....un-drank.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Metal Fanatic

Hostile Domination wrote:
.........I still have that bottle of water, wrapped safely away in some towels....un-drank.

That's either really really creepy or fucking awesome. Whatever the case, it automatically beats any Napalm record collection.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:21 am 
Metal Fanatic

Hostile Domination wrote:
Bah, what a dumb thread, everyone loves Napalm. Hostile, you fucking idiot, shut up

To add what little insight I can, Scum is amazing PERIOD (as in . )

Board index » Genres » Death, Gore, Grindcore